As a Principal Data Engineer, you will be the technical lead on a team of Data/ BI/ Software Engineers to extend and maintain our internal and external analytics solution. The work includes applying data engineering and reporting to all sorts of data (Inflight & Pre-order Sales, Cash and Card Payments, Stock, Warehouse Packing, etc.) from over 40 airlines around the globe. The role requires strong technical skills (architectural, design patterns, native cloud development) as well as interpersonal and communication skills, a keen attention to detail, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, ability to be hands-on as well as work with minimal direction.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead the data engineering team in a back-end capacity with Python, Java and C#
- Hands-on development (70%) as well as provide technical leadership to Data Engineering and Data Analytics teams
- Lead and design RIM’s data architecture for distributed systems
- Consult with the leadership and products teams in developing RiM’s product vision and data roadmap
- Participate in the current migration from a monolithic to a microservices based architecture
- Create and maintain batch and near-real-time data pipelines using Apache Spark and Python
- Own the entire data/development lifecycle from initial concept creation through to planning, implementation, QA and assisting product support teams with the aim to produce robust, structured, high quality and high performing software on schedule
- BS in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum 8 years software development/data engineering experience
- Strong object-oriented and functional programming in at least one of the following: Python, Java, Scala, and C#
- Experience in processing large volume of data and MPP of any size (S3, HDFS, Redshift).
- Experience with distributed systems and microservices: Kafka, Kubernetes, Helm and docker
- Experience in building Apache Spark and stream processing data pipelines
- Ability to design and reason about services in a distributed system, including communication patterns, data protocols and reliability
- Experience with modern reporting tools (e.g. Qlik Sense, Tableau)
- The ability to take ownership of responsibility of the team’s success.
- Flexible to changing requirements while managing your own task list and time.
- Fluent in English
Apply for this Role
Our values are at the heart of our workplace.
Retail inMotion has a quirky and friendly culture. We actively encourage our team members to be themselves and to bring their personality into work. We are proud to say we have over 25 different cultures working together at Retail inMotion. We believe that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths. Our core values drive our approach to working together and with our customers and partners.